Born in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, Lupe emigrated with her parents to Watsonville, California when she was 10 – the third of 9 children. Since then she has done her schooling, raised a family in this town.
A graduate of Moss Landing Elementary and Watsonville High School, she obtained her Cosmetology credentials from the Wayne Academy of Cosmetology in 1968. The same year she obtained her license to practice and is a successful business-woman, styling long hair and owning her own business.
As an educator, Lupe shares her wealth of knowledge. She holds regular hands-on classes on techniques of styling long hair, and has written and documented a set of 3 step-by-step books and 9 videos – on her unique methods. She is a platform artist at California Trade Shows, an educator at beauty colleges in California and a national trainer for the American Cancer Society.
Lupe is active in the community and a proud member of the National Cosmetology Association, The California Cosmetology Association, Rotary International (Freedom), Young Ladies Institute, Look Good Feel Better, St. Patrick’s Church, The Pajaro Valley Chamber of Commerce and Agriculture.
Her achievements have been acknowledged by the Pajaro Valley Chamber of Commerce and Agriculture – she is nominated the Businesswoman of the year 2015.
Here’s a partial list of Lupe’s accomplishments:
- Owner of Lupe’s House of Beauty
- Owner and CEO of Lu-Mar4Hair
- California Cosmetology Association Past State President
- Served on the Watsonville City Planning Commission
- Served on Watsonville City Design Review Committee
- Helped in earthquake relief in 1989
- Co-Chairman of the Latino Affairs Committee
- Served on the Woman’s Commission 3rd District under Tony Campos
- Grand Director & 4 x President of Young Ladies Institute
Lupe has won many awards in her lifetime:
- Charles Parkhurst Award of Santa Cruz County
- Lulac Woman of the Year
- Latina Woman of the Year
- Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year
- California Community Leadership Award
- National Charles Award for Leadership
- California Sunrise Award for Look Better Feel Better
- Watsonville High School Hall of Fame
- California Cosmetology Association Hall of Fame
- Pajaro Valley Chamber of Commerce & Agriculture – Woman of the Year 2016